Short Term Lets Licensing

7 Sep 2023

Edinburgh is designated as a ‘Short Term Let Control Area’, so further regulations apply.

Each Short Term Let (STL) must have applied for a licence by 30th September.

So far, just 286 applications have been made. 

STLs include those letting out their entire main dwelling (Home letting) and those letting out rooms in a property whilst still there (Home sharing). Secondary letting is letting of a dwelling where you don’t normally live. 

Home & secondary letting properties need to have planning permission. All these STL types require a licence, and it is the licence that must be applied for before 1st October. If not, they are likely to be in breach of licensing regulations.

You can start applications here.

This website uses cookies

Like most websites, this site uses cookies. Some are required to make it work, while others are used for statistical or marketing purposes. If you choose not to allow cookies some features may not be available, such as content from other websites. Please read our Cookie Policy for more information.

Essential cookies enable basic functions and are necessary for the website to function properly.
Statistics cookies collect information anonymously. This information helps us to understand how our visitors use our website.
Marketing cookies are used by third parties or publishers to display personalized advertisements. They do this by tracking visitors across websites.