Tenement Guide

Councillor Neil Ross has put together this guide to assist residents with tenement issues


How to get repairs done

Edinburgh Shared Repairs Service can give advice on shared repairs and help to get repairs done. They can also help with emergencies. Contact them by email esrs@edinburgh.gov.uk or call 0131 529 6778. More information about unsafe buildings can be found at www.edinburgh.gov.uk/shared-repairs/unsafe-buildings-emergency-repairs.

Missing Shares Service

If a flat owner won’t pay their share of common repair costs, the Council can step in and pay the missing share. Find out more on the Council’s website https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/shared-repairs/shared-repairs-maintenance or call 0131 529 6778.

Window cleaners

A licence is required for window cleaning. Check your window cleaner is licensed via www.edinburgh.gov.uk by searching for ‘Licensing Registers’ or by email to licensing@edinburgh.gov.uk or by calling the Council’s Licensing team on 0131 529 4208. More information and other services can be found on the Council’s website www.edinburgh.gov.uk by searching for ‘Private Housing’.

Bins and recycling

How to get a food waste bin

Go to the Council’s website www.edinburgh.gov.uk/bins-recycling/request-bins-recycling-boxes to request a food waste bin. Find out when collections are due via the Council’s website or call 0131 608 1100.

How to report a full or overflowing communal bin

Report it on the Council’s website www.edinburgh.gov.uk/overflowingbin or call the Waste Helpline 0131 608 1100.

Getting rid of large items

The following link gives you the option to donate things which can be re-used or to book a council collection at £5 per item: Request a collection of household bulky waste items – The City of Edinburgh Council. Other sites like Gumtree and Freeble are also useful for giveaway notices.

Vehicle parking

Problems with parking permits

To resolve permit problems, contact residentsparking@edinburgh.gov.uk.

Vehicles parked illegally

Report parking infringements either to the Council on parking@edinburgh.gov.uk or by calling the Police on 101.

Flat use

Does a rented property have an HMO Licence?

If a property is rented to three or more unrelated people then usually the landlord must have an HMO licence. You can check this via the Council’s website https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/downloads/download/13239/licensing-registers-civic, by email to licensing@edinburgh.gov.uk or by calling the Council’s Licensing team on 0131 529 4208.

Short Term Lettings, e.g. AirBnB

The new regulations for Short Term Lets have been published by the Scottish Government and are expected to come into force on 1 April 2021.  The Lib Dems are worried that the controls won’t make a big enough difference because the Council does not have the staff or resources to make decisions about the new licence applications, make proper decisions about control areas or deal with complaints about flats that don’t have planning permission. You can read more here.

Anti-social behaviour

How to resolve anti-social behaviour

  1. Speak to the people concerned;
  2. If that fails, speak to their agent or landlord if they have one. You can find out who owns and manages a private rented property by searching the landlord register www.landlordregistrationscotland.gov.uk;
  3. If the problem persists, contact either the Police on 101 or the Council’s Community Safety Officers on;



Phone (during office hours)

Covers areas including

North East locality


0131 529 7168

Craigentinny, Leith, Duddingston, Portobello

South East locality


0131 529 5123

New Town, Old Town, Morningside, Liberton

South West locality


0131 469 5150

Haymarket, Sighthill,

North West locality


0131 529 5014

Muirhouse, Trinity, Clermiston, Gyle, South Queensferry, Ravelston

4. Finally, if you feel it is necessary, you can report antisocial behaviour via the Council’s website www.edinburgh.gov.uk/community-safety-antisocial-behaviour/report-antisocial-behaviour.