An exciting opportunity has arisen for an energetic and enthusiastic person to take on the role of Constituency Organiser for Edinburgh West Constituency Liberal Democrats. In the 2016 Scottish Parliament Elections the Liberal Democrats won the seat back from the SNP. In 2017, 5 councillors were elected across West Edinburgh, and at the 2017 General Election we again won the seat back from the SNP with a majority of just under 3000. Our priority now is to consolidate and strengthen our position – and hold all those seats with increased majorities next time round.
After a period of training and development the successful candidate will become the lynch pin of the Campaign Team. You will oversee the day to day workings of the campaign. You will organise volunteers and campaigners across the constituency, design literature, help develop infrastructure and support capacity building activities. This will include increasing and developing our membership and activist base and building delivery networks.
Good organisational and interpersonal skills are essential. Experience of campaign and election organisation, or within the third sector would be an advantage. Some evening and weekend work will be required.
You are advised to read the full Job and Person Specification before applying for this post. Appointment will be subject to references.
Please contact Jenny Marr (current part time Constituency Manager) with any queries, and in strictest confidence on 07821857490 or via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job description and application
Constituency Organiser. The position is offered on a one year initial contract but, subject to satisfactory performance and the agreement of the local party executive, it may be extended. This decision will be taken not later than two calendar months before the initial one year is up.
Edinburgh West Lib Dems
£18,000 to £24,000 dependent on experience
31 May 2018 at 5pm
Interviews will take place in early June, and start date will be decided in agreement with the successful candidate.
Line Manager: Constituency Manager: Jenny Marr (Edinburgh West)
Key roles and responsibilities
To coordinate and drive the identification, recruitment, training, development, motivation and retention of members and volunteers to mutually agreed targets.
- To oversee the organisation of volunteers to deliver the constituency campaign plan.
- To assist the delivery of a programme of doorstep voter contact to mutually agreed targets.
- To work with the local party executive to organise social and fundraising events.
- To assist in the delivery of a fundraising programme within the constituency.
- To assist the delivery of an effective online campaign using the full range of e-campaigning tools, including facebook, twitter and nationbuilder.
- To advise the line manager, as appropriate, on organisational, communication and/or maintenance priorities which may benefit the smooth running of the campaign.
- To assist with campaign casework collected through survey returns and doorknocking.
- To assist with the production and distribution of leaflets as per the campaign plan.
- To undertake such training as is recommended to develop and update required skills.
- To undertake such other duties as the line manger may require to further effective communication, campaigning and organisation in the constituency.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Ability to effectively communicate with and maintain the confidence of a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to use Pageplus, or a similar desktop publishing programme.
- Ability to motivate and manage a team of people, including volunteers.
- Ability to team-build.
- Ability to delegate effectively.
- Ability to work unsupervised and effectively prioritise from a wide variety of tasks.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to report back concisely to local party Executive and office bearers as required.
- Methodical approach to record keeping and database maintenance.
- Demonstrates a “can-do” attitude and resilience under pressure.
- Sympathetic with the aims and values of the Scottish Liberal Democrats.
Desirable skills and experience
- Previous experience of working in a leading campaign role, whether in a political environment or otherwise.
- Previous experience of working with volunteers.
- Ability to produce political or campaign literature.
- Ability to spot issues with campaigning potential.
- Experience of fundraising.
- Ability to drive or willing to learn.
How to apply
Applicants should send:
- A full CV (no more than two pages and including contact telephone numbers and email address).
- A covering letter (no more than one A4 page) setting out why you want to do this job and how your experience and skills are relevant to it.
A diversity monitoring form, in line with Liberal Democrat recruitment procedures, will be emailed to all who apply.
Please let us have details of your current salary and two referees including one from your current employer - if you would prefer us not to contact them until a later stage of the selection process, please specifically let us know.
The email should be sent to email@example.com. We will notify all applicants when the process is complete.
The Scottish Liberal Democrats are equal opportunity employers and particularly welcome applications from groups who are currently under-represented in our staff.
If you have any questions about the role, please email, or call Jenny on 07821857490.