Robert Aldridge has been the Councillor for Drum Brae Gyle for over 30 years.
He lives locally in the ward in Barntongate and combines his council work with work as CEO of a homelessness charity.
Robert has a long record of service and action for and with the local community and he has a strong reputation for getting things done.
- He campaigned successfully with local residents for the Drum Brae Leisure Centre and for the Drum Brae Library Hub, which have both been hugely successful.
- He has chaired the Neighbourhood Partnership’s Environment Committee leading to improvements in parks across the Drum Brae Gyle area and targeted anti litter campaigns.
- He has championed more local decision making – especially in promoting the Youth Decides initiative locally, where young people recommend local projects for funding.
- He championed the new gym hall at East Craigs Primary school which has recently been officially opened, as well as development of the new Buttercup Farm Park.
For all his time as a Councillor Robert has fought to protect the Green Belt from development. He opposed the new Local Development Plan which foresees thousands of houses at Cammo and West Craigs.
Robert said: Our Green Belt is essential for our health and wellbeing. There are already problems with overcrowded schools and traffic congestion. Such enormous housing developments will only lead to these problems getting worse.’
Robert is currently campaigning for:
- Improvements to the refuse collection service
- Better street cleaning;
- Better street lighting in some areas which have new LED lights;
- Changes to the grass cutting service;
- Changes to the timetabling at South Gyle to make the service more regular
- He is also campaigning to ensure that changes at Edinburgh Airport don’t lead to increased noise and air pollution locally.